This page gives you a list some interesting news / medical articles on aspects related to health and well being for the whole family. You will find a link (the purple coloured words) to take you to the article if you want to read a short precis.
Amersham Osteopathic Clinic – looking after you and your family
1. A new article from the BMJ shows how important maternal diet is during pregnancy
2. Non asprin over the counter NSAIDs like ibuprofen are commonly used by pregnant women for headaches, back or neck pain and following injuries. This study suggests it may not be a good idea. Contact us for help for back and neck ache during pregnancy
3. Eating specific green vegetables might have a positive impact on survival in breast cancer patients
4. A recent systematic review systematic review of medical and conventional therapies shows little scientific evidence to support the use of Infacol or Dentinox (Simethicone) or colief (Lactase enzyme), another study suggests diet may be important
5. A new article adds to the large body of research that points to a fundamental role for omega-3 fatty acids in protecting against mental health problems and suicide risks.
6. Salt intake may not affect blood pressure – contrary to what we’ve been told
7. Even short-term NSAID use is considered risky in cardiac patients
8. In a small study comparing hypnotic relaxation to medication (amitryptiline), relaxation therapy was a more popular choice and patients who tried it reported greater symptom relief than the medication group.
9. New research shows that plagiocephaly should be assessed.
10. Worrying new statistics from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: says that death from opioid pain relievers (like Tramadol and Vincodin) is now an epidemic in the USA.
11. Diet drinks linked with slightly higher rates of depression in older people says large new USA based research
12. A new systematic review and meta-analysis shows that pre-term infants / prems benefit from osteopathic care by a reduced stay in hospital